N.H. Kerk, Heereweg 250, Lisse
Around 1250 Count Willem II founded a chapel on “the green meadow of Lis”. In 1460 the chapel was elevated by Pope Pius II to the parish church of Sint Agatha. It cannot be said with certainty whether this chapel stood on the same spot, but it is certain that the current church is built on remnants of the old parish church. The church is located on a high inner dune. During the 80-year war, around 1573/74, the church was destroyed. The church was later restored and became a reformed church. This reformed church remains the only officially recognized Christian church until the French era (1795), and it was not until 1826 that what was originally called the Reformed Church, was renamed as the Dutch Reformed Church.
The church underwent several restorations in the decades that follow. In 1915 the petroleum lighting was replaced by gas light which in 1922 again was replaced by electric light. In 1924 an extensive renovation took place. The northern side wing was added. The reason for this was to be able to cope with the resulting lack of space. In 2002-2003 there was again a major renovation. Space was then sacrificed for wider aisles and for a toilet group.
The church with the surrounding cemetery, the graveyard wall and the sexton’s house form a beautiful whole. Both on the inside and on the outside of the church it is easy to see that the whole has arisen in different times. The church is now owned by the Protestant Church in the Netherlands (PKN; Protestantse Kerk in Nederland). The church board in Lisse ensures that non-members can also view the church inside. There are regular concerts but also openings where guided tours are given.