Keukenhof Castle – Lisse

Kasteel Keukenhof, Stationsweg 166, Lisse

 

Keukenhof castle was built in 1642 as a mansion by a former VOC commander in the Moluccas. For centuries, the castle has been inhabited by noble families. The last owner and resident was Jan Carel Elias count of Lynden (1912-2003). After his death, he left the castle, including the 230-hectare estate, behind to the Stichting Kasteel Keukenhof (Foundation Castle Keukenhof). This foundation aims to restore the castle and the estate including the 18 national monuments in the state in which they were beginning 1900.

 

In 1642 a homestead was built with the name ‘Keukenhof’ in the kitchen garden of Slot Teylingen. The proceeds of this dune area such as game, cattle, herbs and berries were destined for the kitchen of Slot Teylingen, where among others Jacoba van Beieren lived.

 

After a restoration of almost 2 years, Castle Keukenhof was reopened in 2012. The castle is an official wedding location and both the castle and the estate are used for (cultural) events. The carriage house next to the castle has also been restored. The gardens of the castle are open to the public.

 

On the estate is also the walled Frederiks Hof with the Swiss playhouse. The name Frederiks Hof comes from a boy of one of the noble families that have inhabited the castle. From the tradition it appears that Frederik was a gifted boy with a mental disorder. The playhouse was built for him around 1850 so that he could withdraw with a governess if the crowds were too much for him. The Frederiks Hof has also been completely restored.

 

Комментарии закрыты.

Door de site te te blijven gebruiken, gaat u akkoord met het gebruik van cookies. meer informatie

De cookie-instellingen op deze website zijn ingesteld op 'toestaan cookies "om u de beste surfervaring mogelijk. Als u doorgaat met deze website te gebruiken zonder het wijzigen van uw cookie-instellingen of u klikt op "Accepteren" hieronder dan bent u akkoord met deze instellingen.

Sluiten